Tuesday, July 31, 2012


I love reading my friends' labor stories, so I'll post mine because I know they have an equal love of labor stories. Sorry boys, it is just a girl thing.

Tuesday morning Brian asked me if there was any "action" before he left for work - he was anticipating a very busy day with the type of meetings where if he entered he would have to be there the entire time. So I said no and he went to work. Ten or so minutes later I started having tiny cramps or mini contractions.

I just had a feeling things were going to happen. So I made sure to take a nice shower, shave my legs, wear a cute outfit, and put on makeup. (all things I hadn't done for days because when you are ginormously pregnant you don't want to move) Then I decided to get stuff done.
Around 9 am I started having slightly stronger contractions. Nothing big. I figured if you could walk through it, it isn't that big, and doesn't count as real labor. So we went shopping for a few of my last minute wants before the baby came.

Brian called around lunch time and I told him there was a little action but not a ton. He came home 20 min later. I don't think he was looking forward to his afternoon meetings. ;)

That afternoon we were all business. Putting up curtains, mounting the foam mickey heads on the baby's room wall, packing a few last minute things, cleaning and general prep for the chaos soon to ensue.

Brian kept giving me looks like, shouldn't you be resting? No. The answer is no. Laying there waiting for the next contraction to come and timing it is the most boring, slow afternoon I can think of. My `afternoon contractions where the kind you have to pause, but when they are over you can keep going no problem. They were only 30 sec long and between 4 and 8 minutes apart. The doctor told us don't go till you are 1 min long, 5 min apart for 1 hour. I never really followed this pattern.

Around 5pm I decided to lay down for a while, and Brian decided to make some dinner. As soon as I stopped moving and laid down my contractions got real. Within 20 min they were starting to get big, longer, and closer together. But I really wanted to eat before we went to the hospital and I really really wanted Brian to eat since they don't provide the hubby any food.
This meant waiting another 20 min or so.
With a few pot stickers in my tummy we left for the hospital.

Of course we went the long way. Of course we hit every light possible.

We were admitted to a very busy triage and waited. Meanwhile I'm was now having very very long, very painful contractions. Well past where I had an epidural last time. I know that they were very busy that night, I know they had lots of preggo girls to take care of, but I swore we waited there forever before anyone even came in to start the process. We had to keep waiting between every little step. I was pretty worried that I would miss the time frame to get an epidural. Finally someone said well lets check you! Oh you are a 6-7!  ... liar I was a 7. Suddenly things picked up.

Guess what, those curtains they use as walls aren't sound proof. So next I could hear the nurses calling my doctor and telling each other I had a small shot of getting the anesthesiologist between his two c-sections. THEY HADN'T CALLED MY DOCTOR! NO EPIDURAL???!!

I was "gently" wheeled into the labor room. The nurse started pushing my iv fluids and madly preparing the room. LUCKILY the anesthesiologist walked in and graciously gave me an epidural between his two surgeries. He was so nice! He sat in the room for a while to monitor me and continued to tell us stories of crazy, inconsolable women who would not sit still for their epidurals.

I could still feel some pressure in my right hip. And over the next three contractions it got more painful instead of duller. The anesthesiologist smiled and said, well then that probably won't go away and I could be fully dilated, and left. Hmm.

The nurse said well let's just check you.

Here eyes got very big and she stuttered, well you're fully dilated!! Let me go get your doctor. DON'T DO ANYTHING!

Another minute later she began wheeling in other equipment and busily preparing. The doctor staggered in- you could tell they just woke him up even though it was only 10 pm. As soon as they were ready, 3 or so contractions later, we began pushing! Two contractions and he was out! Woohoo!!

Not a bad experience, but if there is a next time I don't think I'll cut it so close. Although I'm not sure when would have been a good time to go in. Oh well.

Luke is currently a sweet chill boy. After we were out of the hospital we figured out breastfeeding pretty well, so he is a good eater and a good sleeper. Slowly, I re-realize that he won't always be this way. In fact, next week he could turn into a monster and my mostly calm world will go away. So I'm trying my hardest to be equally chill and not stress and worry about every little thing.

Bradley LOVES his new little bro. Mostly because now he is a big brother, and I think he likes that title. Mommy isn't always his fave person- which is hard and sad when it happens. But we are working on the mommy bradley time so he doesn't feel so left out or ignored. He still has his toddler moments, but really, I think he is adjusting well. Thank goodness we'll have grandparents to help us out for the first three weeks. That fourth week is going to be a challenge, but I have my two little boys, and I couldn't be happier.


Heidi Ence said...

Best labor ever! And you are a great mommy! I'm so happy for you!

Rebecca said...

You're right. I love reading labor stories and yours was excellent! It sounds like everything happened just in time! Luke is perfectly adorable and you look so good! Congratulations!

Audrey said...

Glad everything went well! Congrats on the new little man!

Marcene said...

I'm so excited for Brad to have a brother. I love that my boys have each other and can play together. It is a hard thing going to two, but it sounds like you have the right attitude just trying to be calm and not stress the little things. He's so beautiful Steph, good work!