Monday, June 29, 2009

Swimsuits Don't Lie

As a first-time pregnant person, the advice I hear most often is to take one last vacation as a couple before we have a baby. When we lived in California, Brian and I were never one to stray away from a spur of the moment trip to Disneyland. But since moving to Georgia and getting a dog, we have only taken four trips this last year. (Which is pathetic because we used to visit Disneyland at least four times a year, and then we always had a special trip to San Francisco, and of course trips home to Oregon and Utah to visit family.) Our four trips in the last year consisted of:
1. Trip to Savannah to pick up the dog.
2. Trip to Florida.
3. Trip to Vegas.
4. Trip to Oregon for Christmas.

I guess I should have expected a decline in big and mini vacations because family is now SO far away. But I didn't realize having a dog would completely take away our spur of the moment trips. If we do leave for an overnight anything, we have to call the dog kennel to see if there is an opening, pre-measure her food, re-label all her dog stuff, and drive the 1 hr 30 min round trip to drop her off. Ugg.

My days of "spur of the moment" are over.

So for the last week Brian and I have been planning a little getaway to Destin, Florida. I am so excited!! White-sand beaches, snorkeling, air museum, aquarium, new resturants!

I have never been to a Florida beach, and it has been a year since I have seen the ocean. I miss it.

I suppose it is good that I am so excited, because I couldn't resist trying on my barely used Hawaii swimsuit. I shouldn't have been shocked when I put it on and looked in the mirror. I shouldn't have been mortified at what I saw.

I don't know what I was thinking. Of course it wouldn't fit anymore.. my stomach HAS grown a few inches. But I was convinced that the suit would just stretch to accommodate my slightly larger midsection. And actually, it did. But surely the rest of me would still fit the same, right?

Sadly, even my second and third swimsuit revealed the depressing truth... the rest of my upper body has grown too. Sure I knew my boobs were bigger - one of the only true perks of pregnancy. I thought this change would just fill my loosely fitting top section. But I really really really didn't think ANYTHING ELSE had changed.
My memory of how I looked in my swimsuit last year was very clear. But my reflection in the mirror clearly stated that the suit I was wearing at least one size too small.
Equally depressing, I need new board-shorts too.

I love shopping, but swimsuit shopping is always depressing. You must find just the right suit, that fits your body in just the right way to make it the least awkward looking and the most attractive.

I thanked the Lord when girl board-shorts were invented, they went a long way to hiding any butt/thy insecurities I had. But now they have these two-pieces that are like a tank top and board-shorts combined! I must look into these. I have a feeling it will be my best bet for a growing belly. I don't think I'm big enough for full-on preggo one-piece suits.

Comically, the Young Women have planned a pool party for their Wednesday activity. As the YW Secretary I don't have to go, but my President has expressed the desire to have me at the activities.. one more adult goes a long way when you have 30 or so girls running around a pool. So my swimsuit needs are even greater this week.

Wish me luck as I go shopping tomorrow.
(at least my surfer shirt used for snorkeling still fits.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm envious that you can go to Desneyland four times a year!!! I also love Disney...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

Audrey said...

I actually think having bigger boobs is one of the drawbacks of pregnancy/nursing. Maybe I'm weird. But I feel like my body is so out of proportion.