Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pumpkin Carving- The Pumpkin Pi Pun

I grew up with a father who took a creative approach to pumpkin carving. He was definitely the first kid on our block who I knew to carve complex pumpkin designs. The first one I remember my Dad carving was Frankenstein. It was so cool and had so many little details- I thought my dad must be a pumpkin carving genius!! Naturally I enjoy the yearly carving myself but have taken an equally geeky although less intricate approach to my pumpkin ambitions.

This year Bradley was eager to help us out...and since we purchased 8 or so pumpkins, we had a few extra for him to play with.
The two from Burt's Pumpkin Patch were huge so we wanted to keep our tradition of one kid pumpkin one scary pumpkin. This year Brian did the cute kid pumpkin and carved a Blues Clues pumpkin in honor of Brad's fave tv show. (Duh I let my kid watch tv. How else do you get ready in the morning?)

Since we had more pumpkins than hands this year, I just quickly free handed a scary skeleton face for our scary pumpkin. I think it is pretty cute.


 Then we started on the "Pumpkin Pie" project.
 LAST YEAR we did a pi symbol --- π --- on a pumpkin for "Pumpkin Pie" and thought we were pretty clever. Then we got this great idea that we should carve the actual numbers into pumpkins.

Do you remember back to high school Trigonometry or maybe Geometry?  Pi or π represents the number 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.... to infinity. Well, if you are a complete nerd (Brian and Brian's family, whom I love with all my heart, are nerdy math nerds) you find all math humor HILARIOUS. And because I find my nerdy math family to be rather funny themselves, I thought we should take Pumpkin Pi to the next level.


Slightly extreme for a pumpkin pun I know.
But when you combine the nerdy math powers of my husband with my over-the-top artistic powers, the results are often ridiculous and extremely geeky. But to us, well worth the effort.

No, few trick or treaters got the joke. Neither did most of their parents.
Which honestly, just makes it even funnier.

No comments: